Thursday

Rip Van Winkle's Walk

Image: Graphite on Paper
I draw and doodle all kinds of things in my sketchbooks. One theme I keep returning to is Rip Van Winkle. It shouldn't be hard to understand why I would continue to return to this line of thought.

Growing up I was constantly being teased by adults calling me Rip. I don't think most of them knew the entire story. They just asked me if my daddy slept for 20 years. Sigh...No one mentions Rip anymore.

Every once in a while I think about illustrating Rip Van Winkle again. It would be an honor to add my name to the list of wonderful illustrators who took on this task. Arthur Rackham did the best illustrations of Rip Van Winkle. Of course, he is one of my favorite illustrators. The image to the left is one I created while thinking about Mr. Van Winkle. It depicts a dry creekbed that Ole Rip may have hiked up while on his hunting trip into the mountains.

No comments: